Are you looking for philanthropic and community advice and support? I am an independent consultant who works alongside funders, philanthropic individuals, Māori organisations and community sector organisations who want to support the communities they serve more effectively. I am also a blogger, a board member, a philanthropist and a public speaker on philanthropy and community issues.
Examples of the kinds of advice and support I have recently provided:
Working with philanthropic foundations and other funders:
- Serving as Interim CE
- Reviewing governance processes
- Facilitating strategic planning – both in-person and zoom-based
- Reviewing and improving funding processes, including running grantee surveys and facilitating stakeholder focus groups.
Working with Philanthropists:
- Supporting a family to define, set up and implement their philanthropic giving
- Providing ongoing support for philanthropic giving, including acting as a sounding board, researching community needs and suggesting possible recipients
- Managing a community consultation and RFP (Request for Proposals) process.
Working with kaupapa Māori organisations:
- Being an independent committee member for a kaupapa Māori funder
- Working alongside a kaupapa Māori organisation to streamline governance and infrastructure in order to maximise the expression of kaupapa while minimising compliance and funding effort
- Co-facilitating workshops for mainstream organisations to self-assess how well they work in partnership with Māori and identify ways of improving this.
Working with Community Sector organisations:
- Facilitating strategic planning and supporting implementation of the plan
- Running culture building workshops
- Supporting CE and board development.
- Previous roles include Executive Director of the Todd Foundation and Chair of Philanthropy NZ
- My current governance roles include Te Muka Rau Charitable Trust (Chair), the Ngāi Tahu Fund and the Innovation Unit Australia NZ
- My background prior to philanthropy includes entrepreneurship, IT, consultancy and business management. Highlights include co-founding one of NZ’s first Internet Development companies, receiving the ASB Business Woman of the Year award and being awarded the NZ Order of Merit (MNZM) for services to business and the community.
- I am personally involved in philanthropy and the community, including setting up our own family philanthropy in 2004 and volunteering all my adult life.
How I work
- People come first. Positive, reciprocal relationships are key to how I work
- I listen, learn, co-create and share my knowledge and skills
- I combine big picture thinking with a practical approach – I make things happen
- I am happy to have a coffee and chat to explore possibilities and occasionally work on a pro bono or koha basis.
What I bring to my work
- Deep knowledge of philanthropy and funding
- Broad knowledge of the community sector
- Leadership experience in governance, organisations and projects
- A commitment to treaty-honouring relationships and ongoing learning of Te Reo Māori and Tikanga Māori
- A strong track record of taking organisations to the next level through strategy development and implementation
- Credibility and strong networks across multiple sectors.
What people say about my work
- “We were fortunate to have your intelligent, calm and warm presence work with us over last few months. You did way more than help steer the ship – you helped us turn it around” (Trustee of a funding organisation)
- “We are absolutely thrilled with the work you did – insightful, timely. Your approach was gentle, inquiring and challenging” (CE of a funding organisation)
- “You have strong integrity in the way you work with people that enables them to interact with you as an equal regardless of how they come into contact with you” (Trustee)
- You are a reflective authentic thinker who will listen, digest and reflect on ideas or new information. Linked to this is your ability to simply communicate the results of your thinking” (CE of a community sector organisation).
- Empathy and Caring
- Relationships and Reciprocity
- Learning and Wisdom
- Can-do attitude
Find out more